What is ESOS?
ESOS is a set of regulations that came into force in June 2014 requiring all “large” organisations to undertake energy audits and identify options for energy savings every four years. The Phase 2 qualification date is 31 December 2018 and the compliance date is 5 December 2019.
Does it apply to my organisation?
ESOS applies to all non-government UK organisations if, on 31 December 2018, they:
- employ 250 or more people; OR
- have both an annual turnover in excess of €50 million and an annual balance sheet total in excess of €43 million; OR
- are part of a corporate group that satisfies either of the above criteria; OR
- are a non-UK company that has 250 or more employees in the UK.
If your company meets any of the above criteria, ESOS applies to you. Qualifying organisations that fail to comply face fines that can escalate towards £100,000.
What are my options to comply with the ESOS requirements?
To comply with ESOS, all qualifying organisations must undertake one of the following exercises:
- Measure their total energy consumption for a 12-month period including 31 December 2018 and complete an ESOS-compliant energy audit that covers 90% of their energy consumption and is reviewed by a qualified Lead Assessor; OR
- Implement an ISO 50001 Energy Management System, covering 100% of their energy consumption, that is certified by a UKAS accredited Certification Body.
When do I need to take action?
The deadline for submitting evidence of compliance for the next compliance period is 5 December 2019. This may still sound a long way off, but whether you decide to achieve compliance through an ESOS-compliant energy audit or by certification to ISO 50001, the groundwork will need to be started very soon.
In Phase 1 of ESOS, over 300 companies who failed to meet the deadline were issued with enforcement notices and fines.
How can ISO in a Box™ help?
Contact us now for a no-obligation discussion and independent advice on the best ESOS compliance route for your organisation.
If you decide on an ESOS-compliant energy audit we offer a fixed-price service using our qualified Lead Assessors.
If you decide that achieving certification to ISO 50001 is the best way for ESOS compliance we offer fixed price compliance support with guaranteed certification.